Monday, July 16, 2012

MY LITTLE WORLD OF ENTYMOLOGY

This fascinating creature first built the beginnings of a web that reached across my outdoor staircase, forcing me to duck in order to preserve the single strand on which it travelled high-wire style. It then moved up to my second floor terrace, building a fully-formed web, complete with expired prey. It is popularly known as the "smiley face crab spider" on account of its black markings and crab-like legs. Its scientific name is Gasteracantha cancriformis.  The spider then took up residence on a web strung between a tree and the building beside it. In this photo, you can see the remains of its prey.  This photo was taken the day after a heavy rain.  The spider rebuilt its web, and its webs are always a wonder to see.



A couple of days ago I discovered this creature resting among some stones I had placed on an unused camp chair outside my apartment.  Note the impressive antennae.  Its color was also striking; it is obviously very well camouflaged in its proper environment (which a green camp chair is not).  Some friends and I attempted to identify it, and we think it's a type of borer beetle.


Today, I found this Junebug on the mat outside my apartment.  Its wings were a gorgeous shade of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment